By Rachel Nix, Building Kentucky
After receiving millions from the federal government through the American Rescue Plan Act, city leaders across Kentucky are seeking input on how and where to spend stimulus funds. ARPA included $360 billion for state and local governments.
Kentucky state government received about $2.4 billion and city and county governments across the Commonwealth received about $1.6 billion combined.
The City of Lexington will receive $120 million in federal funding to aid in economic recovery to ensure growth and equitable recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Public meetings will be held this month and an online survey is available through Aug. 27. You can also share other ideas not included in the survey on the City of Lexington’s website. For more information, visit https://www.lexingtonky.gov/ARPA.
Meetings will be held:
- Aug. 11: 5:30-7 p.m. at the Beaumont Centre Family YMCA (3150 Beaumont Centre Circle)
- Aug. 13: 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. via Zoom (Webinar ID: 882 5617 4404 / Passcode: 670915)
- Aug. 19: 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at the Lexington Public Library Eastside Branch (3000 Blake James Drive)
- Aug. 23: 6-7:30 p.m. at the Northside YMCA (381 W. Loudon Ave.)
Allowable project areas include:
- Community Health, Wellness and Quality of Life
- Critical City Services, Employee Retention and Facilities
- Economic Recovery and Growth
- Equity-Focused Services and Partnerships
- Growing Successful Neighborhoods
- Harm Prevention and Public Safety
Those categories span a wide range of services from affordable housing to broadband investments, job creation efforts, transportation connectivity and food insecurity.
Louisville Metro will receive $340 million in ARPA funding. Citizens were given the opportunity to present their thoughts before the Metro Council Budget Committee last month.
Louisville Metro Council recently released the results of its survey and public hearings, showing the top priorities of Louisvillians to spend the federal funds.
The top results were:
- Affordable/government supported housing
- Public health
- Childcare/early childhood education
- Public safety
- Infrastructure and transportation
See more of the results here: https://louisvilleky.gov/metro-council/document/american-rescue-plan-survey-results-informatics-report.
Other Cities and Counties
Check out this interactive map from the National Association of Counties to see what funds are planned for your city or county: https://www.naco.org/resources/featured/state-and-local-coronavirus-fiscal-recovery-funds#table.
A list of Kentucky city governments receiving aid is also available here: https://governor.ky.gov/attachments/20210722_ARPA_1st-Payout.pdf.